These basic tips can help you make smart financial choices.
- Educate yourself on basic terms and available products and services.
- Comparison shop for credit.
- Be selective about the financial services companies with which you do business.
- Only shop or conduct financial business on secure Web sites.
- Check your monthly financial statements and contact your lender promptly if you see anything unusual.
- Check your credit report regularly.
- Don’t sign a contract until you have read it, your questions have been answered, and all blank spaces have been filled in.
- Don’t disclose sensitive personal information in emails or social media outlets, or if you haven’t initiated the contact.
- Keep financial statements and credit cards in a secure location.
- Shred any financial documents that you no longer need if they contain personal or financial information.
Source: AFSA Education Foundation
Financial Tips That Can Make a Difference